IIT KGP offers Joint Doctoral Programs (JDP) with its partner institutions. JDP provides students with an exclusive opportunity to live and study in both countries during their candidature and earn their doctoral degree jointly awarded by the partner institutes. The thesis is evaluated by each Institute according to its own rules and the joint nature of the work is acknowledged in the degree certificate(s).
AT A GLANCE
||Duration of stay at host Univ.
||Funding at Host univ.
||Coursework requirement at host univ.
||Award of Degree
- Candidate must be admitted within the first 18 months of the enrolment at the home institution
- Students must complete course requirements and comprehensive exam
- Entry Grade point equivalent of 6.0 GPA
- Final year research Project score of A
|At least 24 months
||Local stipend scholarships (2) from the host through competitive application
||Testamur bearing the seals of IIT Kharagpur and the University of Auckland.
JDP PROCESS FLOW
Stage 1: Exploration
- Check eligibility criteria
- Identify supervisor and project in host university
- Get consent from Host University
- Start Application in second semester
Stage 2: Application
- Application form
- Evaluation and Shortlisting at IITKGP
- Short-listed candidate’s application sent to Host University
- Host University evaluates and makes provisional offer
Stage 3: Admission
- Complete 2nd Semester
- Complete Comprehensive exam
- Host University extends final offer
- Student admitted to JDP at IITKGP after final scrutiny and approval
- Other specific IITKGP-Partner JDP rules apply
PROCESS FLOW AT AUCKLAND
- Students EOI with home institution for joint UoA-IIT
- Initial triage by home institution and check that student meets entry qualifications at both institution (min GPE 6.0 and B+ in 30pts research) -
- Home institutions confirms students they wish to put forward for joint UoA-IIT and both institutions liaise to form project team
- Students formally apply for PhD at home institutions
- Students accepted into receive formal offer also accepted into joint PhD programme. 2-3 scholarships offered each year for joint UoA-IIT students (across entire programme)
DIAGRAMMATIC PROCESS FLOW
Documents required for starting JDP Applications at IITKGP:
- Cover letter giving all details of the intended application. Along with student’s details. This is to be signed by Faculty Mentor and Head/Concerned Dean.
- Filled up Prerequisite Form
- NoC from Faculty Mentor and Head/Concerned Dean
- Letter to Faculty mentor Requesting permission to join the JDP, giving details of your intended research and activities. This letter will have to be signed by the applicant
- Letter of Support from Faculty Mentor, routed through HoD/Concerned Dean
- Letter of Support/or email and acceptance of Host Mentor expressing willingness to mentor the student
- Student transcripts (downloaded from ERP and hard copy prints)
- Letter from Fac. Mentor at IITKGP stating that all medium of instruction and examination is conducted in English. Therefore the English language requirement may be waived.
- Filled up DSC recommendation form
- Completion of Registration Seminar.
- Joint PhD Agreement Proposal Form
English Language Requirement Waiver
Information on JDP with Auckland
Individual Doctoral Agreement